About Me

My photo
My name is Rashi. I have been sketching ever since i learnt that a pencil leaves a mark on the paper. Sketching animals is what i love doing the most. Dogs, horses, dragons and other mythical beasts are my favourites. I am available for hire for freelance work of illustrations,graphic designing, character designing, storyboarding, etc.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

An.Al book cover designing

A while back, I was approached by a client to design a cover for their book. The book falls into the horror/suspense genre. He wanted me to make it look very similar to the cover designs of Noir comics. I took up the challenge as I haven't worked on this particular genre before and it would be a good opportunity.

I had just a couple of days to design it as they were almost out of time and their book needed to be published quickly.

He gave me a few descriptions of what the book was about and using that I started to chalk up ideas for the cover. I knew I didn't want to show the faces of the two protagonists. I wanted the reader to imagine them. Hence, I used the shadows. It gave them a menacing look though. But, the client liked it a lot and was infact, happy about the fact that the reader would have to keep guessing how they looked. The girl is one of the murder cases they come across.

This was one of the versions I made.


But, it turned out to be a little too violent. So, I had to make another version.


One of the most painful things was to look at reference photos of mutilated and tortured dogs. The dog in the cover signifies a sort of a calling card for the Twins. I made 2-3 versions of that mutilated carcass all the while shuddering at the images I had seen. Thankfully, one of the versions was selected. I decided to add that on the back cover as it was looking too plain.

The publisher wanted more color options. They did some changes to the color scheme.


This is the photo of the book after publishing.

If you still haven't stopped giggling at the name of the book, here's a hint: It's a mixture of the names of the two protagonists.

You can buy the book from Flipkart or Crosswords.


No comments:

Post a Comment