About Me

My photo
My name is Rashi. I have been sketching ever since i learnt that a pencil leaves a mark on the paper. Sketching animals is what i love doing the most. Dogs, horses, dragons and other mythical beasts are my favourites. I am available for hire for freelance work of illustrations,graphic designing, character designing, storyboarding, etc.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Dragon, painted.


I found some old watercolors in my drawer and decided to test myself. I have always steered clear of painting because it's a lot more challenging. Okay, frankly, there is no Ctrl+Z button or Layers in real life.

So anyway, I didn't have any watercolor paper and I had to use my sketchbook's paper. Thankfully, it is a little thick and suited for markers.

Started out with a light wash of burnt sienna. Kept building more color where I wanted the shadows to be. Added black to the places where there was heavy shadow. I had intended it to be a monochromatic piece, but decided to add some yellows and oranges later. I think it is better to add black/dark colors in the end. But anyway. Since I am always so "un-decided", yellow and orange came at the end. Added a blue wash in the background. By now the paper was quite crumpled and since it's the rainy season, the paint was taking ages to dry. Turned the house upside-down and found my old hair-dryer. The paint was dry within minutes.

Once the paint was completely dry, I asked mom to straighten the paper out by ironing on it. My mom is lot more intelligent than me. She covered the paper with a cloth first and then sprinkled a bit of water and applied the press. Also, she did this on the opposite side of the paper because the stupid cloth bled some of it's own color. Anyway, no harm done. The paper was smooth and crisp again.

I took out my black and white pens and added some details. Also, color pencils.

I should do more waterpainting doodles. It was actually quite relaxing. Except waiting for the paint to dry. That was terrible. Thank God for hair-dryers. 

2 comments:

  1. haha! I'm always complaining about how quick my water color dries up for any wet on wet paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, paper matters? I have never tried painting on watercolor papers before.

      Delete