About Me

My photo
My name is Rashi. I have been sketching ever since i learnt that a pencil leaves a mark on the paper. Sketching animals is what i love doing the most. Dogs, horses, dragons and other mythical beasts are my favourites. I am available for hire for freelance work of illustrations,graphic designing, character designing, storyboarding, etc.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Process: With you, I forget the world


My sister's friend told us about this art shop in Lajpat Nagar and together we all set out to locate it. I bought a lot of things from there including a watercolor paper pad. It is A5 in size as I like to make small artwork. I also purchased a sketchbook for oil and acrylic painting. I am going to study oil painting and try it out. Oils seem too scary. Anyway. Let me try to explain what I did:

  1.  I woke up in the morning and I had this idea in mind. I sketched it out in the watercolor paper pad. 
  2. Took out my watercolors, and started with a light wash of Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. I don't have many watercolors and have to work with what I have. 
  3. Working out on the details of the male dragon. I have now applied a stronger coat of the previous colors and added Prussian Blue and Black to the mix.  My hands shake a lot and I couldn't add as much details as I should have. But, I will get back to that later. For now, I am happy with how he looks. Ugly. Also, I just had 2 brushes: a thin one and a fat one. I think I need to buy more brushes. 
  4. Now I shift my attention to the female dragon. I had originally thought of making the male brown and the female green, but I decided to make her orange-ish. Again. applying a wash of Orange and Chrome Yellow. 
  5. Applying stronger coats of color and I introduce Red to the mix. Well, technically it was Crimson. But, I mixed it slightly with Orange and Chrome. 
  6. Added Black to the mixture for shadows. A lot of artists advise against using pure black for shadows because it tends to make the painting dull. I mixed it up with Prussian Blue but I should have added more blue. Anyway. 
  7. The paint was wet so I added a little salt onto the damp areas because it gives a cool effect. But, my painting wasn't as wet as it should be or something because the effect didn't really come. I wonder if I should use a different salt. 
  8. I decided to speed up the drying process by holding the sketchbook in front of a heater. The orangish-yellow glow made the painting look pretty good. No? I think it does. 
  9. Since I had to add details, I took out my color pencils, took out matching shades and started adding details and shadows. I then used my Pentel Brush Pen to ink the painting and add more shadows. And finally, added a wash of my Cool Grey Copic Markers (C2 and C3) 

Done. I hope you find this useful somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment